Simon WilsonResearch Programme Director, Future Highways Research Group
Simon and colleagues at Proving first launched the Future Highways Research Group (FHRG) in 2015. Now comprising directors and senior managers from 35 local authorities, the FHRG is currently developing comprehensive guidance for LHAs seeking to implement the GHG Scope 1, 2 & 3 protocols for emissions measurement. Robust and consistent emissions measurement is a critical steppingstone towards effective carbon reduction – a key research theme for the FHRG.
My Speaker Sessions
Thursday 08 June 2023
A carbon calculation standard and carbon analyser
10:15 - 11:00 Decarbonisation
- A principal research theme of the FHRG is climate change, including the measurement, reporting and reduction of carbon emissions across LHA supply chains
- Currently, a lack of standardisation in the UK highways sector has led to highly fragmented approaches to carbon measurement, carbon accounting and carbon reduction
- As a response, the FHRG is developing the Carbon Calculation & Accounting Standard (CCAS) as step-by-step guidance for FHRG and ADEPT members.
- Moreover, to assist LHAs in calculating their carbon footprints, the FHRG has developed Carbon Analyser; a research-led, web-based carbon profile builder and carbon analysis toolkit, tailored specifically for highways services
- This session will also provide a demonstration of this toolkit and the Microsoft Azure Carbon Database, an online repository of carbon data used for analysis and benchmarking with the UK highways sector.