Robert McGregorStrategic Transport Officer, Aberdeenshire Council
Robert McGregor is the lead officer for Aberdeenshire’s Electric Vehicle Charger Network and has responsibility for managing liaison with Transport Scotland and Network Rail on strategic transport projects in the region. He also works on national transport issues and contributes to Traffic Signs policy for the Authority.
He is a member of the IHE Traffic Signs Panel and Transport Scotland Traffic Signs Working Group. Robert has a long-standing personal interest in Roadworks Safety and Traffic Signs and enjoys researching the history of transport in the UK and collecting traffic safety equipment with a view to establishing a future museum. He is currently writing a biography of the Traffic Cone and is a trustee of the Maud Railway Museum.
My Speaker Sessions
Wednesday 07 June 2023
Panel: Why do we have a skills shortage and how do we overcome it?
10:00 - 11:00 Skills
- Do we need to change the way we train and educate people?
- How do we grab the interest of young people from an early age?
- Age retention and the use of professionals in their 50s and 60s is a goal but how do we make sure the skillsets at that level are used appropriately?
Thursday 08 June 2023
Traffic cones – 80 years of innovation and excellence
14:30 - 14:55
- In 1953 the first patent for a Traffic Cone was granted and in 1963 the Worboys report granted Cones official status as Traffic Signs in Britain.
- This year is therefore a double anniversary year for the humble Traffic Cone, which has become an indispensable, ubiquitous feature of life on the roads in the UK and internationally and become something of a cultural icon.
- Traffex has seen the launch of many of these innovations and it is fitting therefore to celebrate the role of Traffic Cones and launch the anniversary year of the Traffic Cone at Traffex.
- The presentation will canter through eight decades of innovation, in an informed and irreverent style and speculate as to what innovation the future might hold for the Traffic Cone and roadworker safety in an autonomous, connected, digital road world.